So often, we believe we can only feel and think one way about a specific topic. We frequently feel bullied to choose between this or that, as if there are only two options to consider.
But life often exists in the grey; life is rarely black or white. There are few absolutes.
Yes, absolutes are non-negotiable; we must honor humanity, ensure dignity, and protect freedom.
However, most of life’s questions are full of nuances, complexities, and contradictions that challenge us to think deeply about our values. And those are the questions and decisions that don’t fit neatly into our cultural conditioning, religious doctrines, and social norms. The decisions that affect us the most are never this or that; they may be both or neither.
Bottom line: Don’t get bullied by binaries.
You can have multiple opinions, concerns, and feelings about one topic.
So, question everything and allow yourself to have mixed feelings about something until you know what is true for you.
Create space in your mind and expand the love in your heart to hold tension and dichotomies.
Most of all, trust and test your own inner knowledge because YOU and only you know what’s best for you.
So, this week, here are some journal prompts to help you get clear on your goals and needs.
- What feels suitable for me in this season of my life?
- What nourishes my soul and stimulates my mind?
- How does staying in an unfulfilling career or relationship affect me?
- How does changing my routines help me rest, think, or heal?
- Where do I need to think broadly about my life?
- Why am I not advocating for myself at work or at home?
- Who am I becoming, and why?
- What could I do if I expanded my understanding of “truth?”
- How would updating my definition of success create more capacity in my life?
Spend some time asking yourself these critical questions. And then, be sure to sign up for the free I Dare To Be Me Virtual Open House to get additional insight about creating a life that honors your deepest needs.
Don’t be bullied. You are too amazing to be shoved into a belief system that suppresses your soul.